6.08.2011

Sea Glass and Driftwood

Summer is finally upon us and in honor of that here is my dream design for a savvy cottage by the sea

I wanted to spice up the typical "beach chic" combinations of distressed woods, crisp white interiors, fresh cottons and linens, nautical accessories and pale blue accents with unexpected patterns and hues, bold graphic gestures, varied wood tones and metallics, rich textural combinations, a hint of glamor,  a tinge of industrialism, and a marriage of traditional and modern.
I wanted this space to feel  posh, proper, and slightly European yet totally relaxed and welcoming.

A personal challenge I set for myself for this interior design...every item (apart for a few accessories) are from a single source website, Layla Grayce (believe me this is waaaayyyy harder than it sounds as it totally limits options and forces you to design within a box while thinking outside of it; you have to think of innovative new ways to combine and collaborate pieces that oftentimes have a very similar feel and aesthetic).

Yesterday I fell in love with all of the fabulous pillows at Layla Grayce and it immediately got the wheels turning for my nontraditional nautical design.


The back wall is a statement white and dove grey chevron pattern that is neutral and tonal for subtlety without forgoing huge impact. It will be applied in a dry brush "linen" technique for even further depth, dimension, texture, and a weathered feel. The other walls will be painted a warm dove grey to match the chevron stripes. The ceiling will be a punchy hit of a teal with grey undertones for unexpected "wow" that accentuates all the seaglass hued accessories. All main furniture items are, once again, from the Layla Grayce website with the exceptions of the glass octopus (LOVE this guy from the preview post); vintage glass buoy and rope knot; felt and wire graphic art; and a very large boat blueprint framed in a thick white mat that spans the entire right wall. Nail head trim, mirrored lights, baroque-esque mirrors, and a fresh bouquet of hydrangeas keep the space decidedly luxurious.

ahhhhh....how I wish I could be curled up on that chaise with a blanket, coffee, and my favorite book listening to the distant waves crash on the shore...


My life, my love, and my lady is the sea....

Safe Sailing,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...