8.16.2011

Back In The Saddle

I spent nearly every summer of my childhood riding horses and working in the barn alongside them. There was a stable up the road from my home and each summer they would have week long camps to ride the horses there. I spent years and years progressing from being a camper to a counselor to someone that stopped by the barn just because. Even though I am very much a city gal now, I lived for these camps. For that time. For that freedom. When I look back on my childhood growing up these summers are some of the most vivid and defining memories. Me and my two girlfriends would eagerly get up bright and early and head out with our tack boxes to the barn, week after week, summer after summer...the smell of hay, wood, and manure (I know, I know sounds gross right?) somehow still comforts me and hypnotically sends me back to those hazy, hot, summer days spent with dirt under my nails, sweat on my brow, and dust covering my face...to how good it felt to be sore after a day of lifting leather saddles...to the thrill of the scurry of the barn, of the people there, the campers, the cats, the dogs, the pigs...to eating paper bag lunches on bails of hay and always packing extra apples and carrots... to the streams of mud that ran down my arms as I rinsed the horses off after they'd been ridden...to the other world I was transported to when I was up there and the trees suddenly began to blurr slightly...the rhythmic cadence to our steady gait as I became a part of the horse's movement...magic.





So, needless to say I have always been slightly obsessed with all things equestrian. Seriously, it's kind of weird. My heart flips out with a surge of joy every time I see anything with a horse on it. But, my obsession stems from the reel of memories I have of those summers spent at Crooked Creek Stables and with Scarlet (one of my all time favorite people I have ever met and one of the camp directors).

Especially with fall fast approaching the whole equestrian trend seems to saturate fashion and home decor, with riding boots and pants hot on the trend radar...something I'm completely thrilled about! As the summer comes to a close and children head off to school here is a compilation of some fabulous horse finds (from fashion accessories to sculptural artwork) that recall my days of old...
{via}

{via}

{via}

{via}

{via}

{via}

{via}

{via}

{via}

{via}

{via}

{via}

{via}

{via}

{via}
{via}

{via}

Click here to view larger image
{via}


Whether it is a charm or bracelet from Etsy, a small bookend accent, or a full fledged life sized horse from Moooi there is a healthy dose of horse for all taste levels and aesthetics out there. My point in this post is not to convey myself as a crazy obsessed weirdo (although maybe I am) but to emphasize that when designing and accessorizing your home it is the little details that transform your space into an intimate, personal, and meaningful environment. My pair of vintage horse bookends (from my Meme) not only remind me of her but of my summers spent at a barn in Harrisburg, North Carolina (as does the pillow I am currently making out of my favorite horse shirt as a kid). Maybe you didn't grow up around a barn or dislike horses...so don't put them in your home just because a magazine made it look cool!

Perhaps you spent your childhood summers at the beach, in the mountains...fill your home with objects that are meaningful to you and that evoke special memories and times that you cherish in your heart. Perhaps you would look at my horse pillow and have no response (other than that is the most beautiful pillow you have ever seen, right?) because it is not personal to you, it is personal to ME. If you put it in your home it may look cool but it would hold no value to you other than its price tag. So instead of jumping on bandwagons, and riding on fad trains pick a pillow, accessory, clothing item...that recalls your summers spent shore side with your grandparents collecting shells and cooking crabs not my summers spent in the barn. That, my dear readers, is how you make your home a meaningful reflection of you, a timeline and storybook of your life....NOT a cliche and vague imitation of a catalog image.





Stay true to you,

P.S. Want some more equestrian inspiration? Check out our post on Herm√®s {here}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...