8.29.2011

The Dahlia, Dahling

So, in writing my blog for the past few months I realize that I have never actually disclosed the meaning behind my title. No, it is not a kitschy, cliche, alliteration (although if it reads that way to you, you are certainly entitled to your opinion- it doesn't offend me) randomly chosen and simply intended for "cute" factor points or to merely have a somewhat appealing title...it means something to me:

 "Dreams" because (as you already know if you have been a faithful follower from the get go) I started this blog fresh out of college, worn down, worn out, and sullen from the endless and exhausting energy leech that is job searching...for an interior design job...in a down economy. All the "we will put your resume on file's" and the applications sent to jobs that were no where near my desired target field were literally sucking the creative life out of me and discouraging the pull I once felt towards a destiny and career that once magnetized me with determination. The passion and vibrancy I felt when I encountered a spark of inspiration, the ignition of the adrenaline I felt as spectrums of colors, lights, and textures pierced my eyes, caroused my veins, and hypnotically lulled me into my inner world was slowly slipping through my no longer paint coated fingertips...So I took a stand. And started scouring for inspirations. And pouring my soul onto the words you read. To remind myself continuously of the love that I have for what I do and the appreciation I feel for the beauty that I am so grateful and blessed to be able to find in the ordinary.


"Damask" because my love for interiors and insatiable infatuation with design started at age 10, with a Southern Living magazine, some graph paper, a hand full of paint chips, an indescribable drive and need to create, and a very young obsession with a very sophisticated pattern...damask {read about it here}. The glossy warp-faced satin, intricate curls and swirls, and titillating texture swept me up and engulfed me in a blur of the regality of their Byzantine beginnings and a mirage of luxurious drapings of the textile swarmed through my mental "vision boards."
but "Dahlias," "Dahlias" are perhaps my favorite part of the title...not only are they some of my favorite floras but the symbolic meaning behind them perfectly encapsulates who I am as a designer, and as an creative individual navigating the journey of my life...

Dahlias are spicy, saucy, flowers with enough edge and attitude to counteract the delicacy of their petals and softness of their heady blooms. Their petals vary from round and short to long and pointed. They can be uniform or completely varied in petal size and coloration. Their actual meaning, based on Victorian floral symbolism, varies from representing dignity and grace, or an eternal bond, or sheer excess and exuberance, or good taste, or sincere gratitude..to a nod to travel and adventure, an encouragement to embrace change...or a sheer celebration of eclecticism. The varied meanings makes the dahlia a complete wild card on any given occasion, much like creativity...like design...like my personality...like my artistic musings...like this blog.
Most of all, dahlias, when given as a gift say:
"temper your adventures with a kind heart"
{source: here}

which is, of course, the ultimate desire...

"I am on a journey...with my work, my explorations, and a few sad stories. I travel with a suitcase full of outrageous blessings. I am on a quest for truth, beauty, and quiet joy. I am an artist, a writer, an explorer..."

Things to remember (things that got me through...) for anyone out there, like I was, on the verge of the dissolution of a dream, a passion, a love, a desire, a hope, an ambition, an idea, a notion, a spark of joy from the combative slash of reality...

"Things fall apart so that other things can fall together.."

"You will never leave where you are until you decide where you want to be.."Y

"Don't undertake a project unless it is manifestly important and nearly impossible..."

"Victory is not won in miles but in inches, win a litte now, hold your ground, and win a little more later..."

"God doesn't call the qualified, he qualifies the called..."


{Note: all images and quotes from Pinterest}

You Can, and You Will,
P.S. Glad to be back. Feeling refreshed and the gears are back in motion...more to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...