11.01.2011

Judging My Books By Their Covers

Hickory Chair had the most beautiful display of painted book covers at this years High Point Market- artwork really. The mixture of colors and patterns was captivating and visually stunning. I've seen similar things done plenty of times before in retail environments and visual merchandising displays (currently recalling J.Crew and Anthropologie displays, specifically) in order to fill the space and create an overall aesthetic look that is neutral or fitting with the design scheme without being distracting due to an array of spine colors and titles. I've also seen this done in homes on large scale bookcases for the same reasons and, frankly, although I love the idea and the look, I am on the fence. There is a fine line between creating a beautiful visual artwork installation in your home and merchandising your home to look "overdone" not to mention the whole argument of preserving the beauty of the book its self. However, being said, I am so completely on board with this for small scale displays such as desks, end tables, coffee tables, consoles, etc especially when dealing with necessary "uglies". The possibilities of what you could use are endless and create quite stunning vignettes.

{via}

I have many beautiful books such as an heirloom Bible and a collection of American classic novels I would never dream of covering up, however, I do have a set of "uglies" by my desk that I am totally going to cover up after creating this post. Let me introduce you to them:

Eeek, I know. A bunch of design reference books from school that I like to still keep around because, well, they were expensive, I am not ready to get rid of them, and, occasionally I like to refer back to them if needed. But, they are ugly. Really ugly. Already used when I bought them, they are beaten, torn, dirty, and have neon "used" stickers on them I can't peel off. So, yes, these babies are going to get covered to minimize the visual "clutter" at my desk....as soon as I can decide on what I want to cover them with:

beautiful printed paper
{via}

an artistic sketch on white butcher paper
{via}

vintage pages and maps
{via}

brown paper with elegant calligraphy titles
{via}

linen and burlap
{via}

fun patterned fabric scraps
{via}

and, then, perhaps even use some wax seals for added scholarly flair?
{via}

ahh...decisions, decisions. What is your stance on covering books? Do you have any "uglies" you need to cover? If so, here is an awesome tutorial I found:

{via}

Sometimes It's Okay To Judge A Book By Its "Uglies" (and then recover it),

4 comments:

  1. Please tell me that header is not your artwork! It's incredible!

    I found you through followers fest! What a beautiful blog. I have a Christmas series going on with a Christmas post a day for 50 days and it just started! You should check it out!

    www.readjame.com

    -Stacie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacie- yes that is my artwork! Thank you for your sweet words! I got your message over on my other blog too (Grain of Salt + Spoon Full of Sugar) and I can't wait to check out your series- I'm slowly getting into the Christmas mood myself! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the exact way you do about covering books. It's okay for a small display, especially if the books are less than appealing to look at.

    I kraft covered a few books of mine in plain white paper so they would match the look I was going for in the dining room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. modishetcetera- would love to see pics! thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...